3.6.14

I AM ME, MYSELF. . . a poem by Shuntaro Tanikawa.


I AM ME, MYSELF
I know who I am 
I am here now 
but I may be gone in an instant 
even if I am no longer here I am me, myself 
but in truth I do not have to be me 

I am a plant at least a little 
I may be a fish more or less 
I am also an ore with a dull sheen 
though I don’t know its name 
and of course I am almost you 

Because I cannot disappear after being forgotten 
I am a rhythm in a refrain 
I am a subtle wave and a particle 
having arrived, if I may be so conceited, 
riding on your heart’s beating rhythm 
from the light years of distance 

I know who I am 
so I know who you are 
even if I don’t know your name 
even if there is no census record 
I am crowding out into you 

Feeling happy being wet in rain 
feeling at home with the starry sky 
cackling at crude jokes 
I am me 
beyond the tautology of “I am me”

© 2007, Shuntaro Tanikawa
From: Watashi (I Myself)
Publisher: Shichosha, Tokyo, 2007
ISBN: 978-4783730439